Saturday 15 December 2012

Ghent

Ghent is full of history!! You (really me) never so interested or connected to history until your standing in the middle of it; In my case in the middle of the biggest Midevil Market place in Belgium (at least) in a NEUTRAL city (one of the few, it was Ghent + area) in the 100 years war! ( at this time Belgium was basically France)

I was invited to join my second host family on a day trip with my host Dad's work (NATO!!) We took a bus early in the morning and drove to Ghent on the other side of Belgium...2 hours away... and Toured around Ghent with My host parents, host Grandpa and 3 host sisters.

 We started of the day with a guided tour in a small group then spent the rest of the day walking around.




 The Grand Market Place of Ghent

 One of the many Canals in Ghent

 To the left the building represents the five senses.



 Ghent's castle


 They tried to restore the castle. Unfortunately Ghent does not believe in throwing anything out so the last bit at the top level of the castle is noticeably different, that's because its made from the remainder of the city's cobble stones.
Flanders' Flag
 The Ghent flag and Flanders' flag


 The big Catherdrale in Ghent








 Ghent's tower
 Marcher de Noel



Besides seeing this amazing city my favourite memory of that day is of my little host sister Stef
She was eating over some cotton candy (Barbe de papa) and got it all her face, and  coat. Her Dad then tries to clean her up, in doing so he got some sticky pink goo on his nice glove, "oh shit." 10 seconds later Stefanie notices that she has some more on her sleve, "oh shit!" (by the way she's ten!!)
I could not stop laughing!!!

All in all it was a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment