Tuesday 13 November 2012

England Vacation



Getting Started

My mom got in contact with her cousin, Ronna, who is living outside of London to tell her that I was in Belgium for the year. My parents and family were reconnecting with everyone that they know in this area of the world helping me gain contacts and people who I can help me at any point of my year.
Ronna was so excited that one of her cousin was living so close. I did not remember Ronna because the last time that I saw her was 8 years ago at my Nana’s funeral. I was so happy that she was excited that I was here because even though Rotary has an amazing support system its still nice to know that family is not too far away. 

When I told Ronna that I had a two week vacation coming up she invited me to spend it with her and her family in England.
 So I started the pile of paperwork in order for me to go.


Travel Request Forms…
 
In order to travel anywhere over night I need to be approved by my club and my district. Normally students aren’t allowed to travel for long trip until after April (6 Months here), unless they have a dual purpose of visiting family. The travel request forms included; an official written invitation from the host, a letter from your parents giving permission and an explanation of the trip, detailed information about traveling and activities during the trip, written permission from your host family. Then the signatures start, and written permission from my school because it was during school time ( a little complicated*) ; First my counselor has to approve and sign  my forms, then the exchange program chair person of my club, then a district representative signs off, THEN I can go.
*STAGE: Stage is kinda like our Co-operative education program in Canada. I cannot participate 
 because I’m an insurance issue, so I get vacation time instead. I’m suffering I swear I am ;P


Travel Turmoil

To get to London I needed to take 3 trains; Visé – Liège – Bruxelles – London (Saint Pancras);
The first thing that you should know is that when I’m traveling I like to know exactly how im getting there, ESPECIALLY when I’m traveling alone. So before I left I knew exactly what rains to take at what time and on what platforms, I even double checked everything the night before. When I got to Liège I checked my train again, but then I noticed that there was a second train that was going to Bruxelles but was leaving earlier, and it actually said Bruxelles – Midi on the train, so I got on. The train should take no more than 1h30 to get there, when that time passed I started to get reeeeeaaaaalllllly worried and stressed.  The only thing that kept me from crying was that I knew for certain that tis train was arriving at Bruxelle  - Midi at some point. When I finally arrived I had 40 minutes until the train left, seems like enough time right?... I was just about running when I arrived in Bruxelle trying to find out where I needed to go to pick up my tickets and go through Customs. I found it, and from the point that I got my tickets in my hand I did not stop moving until I was seated on the train. Finally when I arrived I tried to remember what Ronna looks like and trying to orientate myself so I could find the coffee shop where we were going to meet. Then I here, “Jessika?... You look so much like your Mom.” For once in my life I was really happy to hear that.

 
Family Life

For the first time in a long time I was a part of a family life that was familiar. Pancakes for breakfest, rush to not miss the bus, sibling fun and bickering, helping my cousins with homework, babysitting, watching a soccer game and practice and of course the silly fun stuff in between. I felt like I have known them all my life and enjoyed every minute of my time with them. Over my 12 days in England, I spent the majority of my time doing family daily activities.

He smiled... but I didn't get the picture...












I spent one morning in Windsor and saw the Queen's castle with Ronna. It was amazing I was upset that I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside.  

I did get a picture with one of the castle guards and I swear up and down, left to right, diagonally, and in any other direction that you can name that he SMILED right after this picture was taken. AND... he couldn't stop smiling so he had to start marching!!! Ronna and I were in shock and could get the picture fast enough, but I will never forget it!


Halloween

Halloween, just like in Belgium is a "new" holiday. Not many people recognize/partake in it, but my die hard Canadian cousins had their hearts set on trying to find a few houses. at the end of the night Meg and Jack were soooo happy and proud of their small pile of treats. It was the sweetest thing to see them trade and share their candies, it reminded me of what I would do with my siblings, the only difference is that no one declared war.



Football



Family time at the soccer field Saturday morning.


Walking in the Park





It was such a beautiful park. I loved Canada's gift to the Queen. Can you guess what it was???


No comments:

Post a Comment