Saturday 3 March 2012

Since the Switch

Later the same day I switched countries from Switzerland to Belgium I received an e-mail from one of our district coordinators, as did all of the other outbound students. In the e-mail we were all asked to do a two minute presentation at our next orientation meeting. The thing is we had to present in the language of our host country. I almost immediately burst out laughing. I found it difficult to find the time to study German for the past month. I knew my numbers to 19 and some basic phrases and words, but now... I have to present in french. This will be no big deal because I'm in the extended french program at my school. I've been learning french for 7 years!!!! the funny thing is I'm still learning!!
The reason why I started laughing was I thought about everyone else, all the outbounds. I wasn't laughing at them or the challenge everyone now faces, no, I was laughing at what I imagine the presentations would be like, listening to about16 different languages. I know I understand French and English, and if I'm lucky I can pick out some words in other languages. For about 32 mins I will be listening along with everyone else languages like Croatian, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Thai, Japanese, Italian, Mandarin and others. I was laughing at the thought of everyone trying to understand what it is that we are saying. LOL!



On Thursday I was excited to go to Musicfest. I was looking forward to being able to spend time with two amazing inboud students from Brazil and Switzerland. Unfortunately The entire day of competition was cancelled due to all the bus cancellations due to the weather. I was seriously bummed out :'(
The good news is we will still compete, the judges will now come to my school after march break.


There was also the Sears Drama Festival going on this week. I went with a couple of my close friends to support my school. I was pleasantly surprised to see Nela, the inboud student in my Rotary Club from Ecuador! I haven't seem her in a month, and I will get together in the near future with her and the two other studentsfrom the other Rotary club in Barrie!

No comments:

Post a Comment